Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:11 AM
DescriptionSalary: $51,000 - $62,000
Job Description: About Rising Star Outreach
Rising Star Outreach is a registered 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization benefiting India’s leprosy afflicted population. Leprosy is curable.
Even so, people who have contracted leprosy are often shunned from society and most are considered as “untouchable”. Treatment and screening for diagnosis is available. Fear and stigma prevent early detection and the necessary steps to be cured and overcome the disease.
Our mission is designed help individuals rise above the stigma associated with leprosy and help leprosy colonies become thriving, self-sufficient communities.
The vision of Rising Star Outreach is informed by the belief that all people are equal and deserve respect, everyone has something of value to offer the world, and that life should be intellectually, socially, emotionally, and spiritually uplifting and edifying.
We envision a world that embraces these values and rejects stigma. We strive to accomplish this vision by lifting the leprosy-affected, empowering them as individuals, developing sustainability in their communities, and inspiring others to action.
Understanding the role of Development Director
The development director plays a crucial role in the administration of Rising Star Outreach. He/she is often the main contact with major donors and grantors and acts as the leader in fund-raising and solicitation campaigns. The development director reports to and works in partnership with the executive director.
The primary responsibility of the development director is to raise money for Rising Star Outreach. He/she creates and implements a development plan that details how the organization solicits donors and identifies funding sources such as grants, corporate donations, in-kind donations, charitable events, and marketing opportunities. The development director shares in development plans with senior leadership, the development committee, and the board of directors. The development director produces the development plan, but as the governing body, the board of directors provides oversight and leadership.
Because raising funds is imperative to the success of the organization, it is important that the development director develop, lead and manage solicitation efforts. An experienced development director understands the difference between fundraising and development and that being successful at both are required with this position. “Fundraising,” describes an activity that is “transactional” in nature. The focus is on solicitation. “Development,” on the other hand, encourages strategy that is relationship focused. – the building, over time, of a continuous, powerful and life-long connection between a donor /philanthropist and Rising Star Outreach. A development plan includes extended cultivation, thorough education, and attentive stewardship as well as appropriate solicitation.
Development plans range in complexity, magnitude, and sophistication. The capacity of and participation of our board, the amount of donors, our mission, our revenue mix, the make-up of our constituency, the maturity of our fund development efforts, and our need for capital and endowment gifts in any given year will need to be assessed and planned each year and for five-years running. The development director will need to assess the promise and challenge of each type of fundraising and focus the efforts of our unique financial and human resources to be effective and sustainable.
This position requires a personality with personal attributes, mindset, and an attitude that includes the following:
• A passion for achievement
• Great “people person” skills
• The ability to solve problems creatively and with flexibility
• A focus on execution and results
• The ability to juggle and multi-task
• A strong personal code of ethics and a belief in the mission of Rising Star Outreach
This position requires the following technical skills:
• An understanding of the breadth of fundraising techniques and programs
• The ability to develop a written case for support
• The ability to execute an annual giving program including face-to-face, phone, and mail solicitations
• The ability to design and implement appropriate and motivating donor acknowledgment and recognition
• Ability to recruit and motivate leadership and board members
• Strong oral and written communication skills - including the ability to communicate the importance and impact of programs.
• Knowledge of special events and event planning
• Some knowledge of direct marketing, including television, print, direct mail, and social media
• The ability to identify, manage, and solicit high-level prospects as major donors or corporate sponsors/partners
• Basic knowledge of non-profit finance as well as knowledge and adherence to national tax regulations and accounting standers affecting fundraising
• A knowledge and efficiency in creating reports, pulling data, and entering donor and foundation information in Donor Perfect
• Efficiency in Excel, Word, PPT
• Ability to create an annual development plan, fundraising plan, and income budget to evaluate its effectiveness
• An understanding of donor stewardship, assuring that funds are used in accordance with donor wishes, that accurate records are kept, and that information can be retrieved when needed
• A knowledge and commitment to the Donor Bill of Rights and the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice
You must constantly seek out new donors to replace the ones we lose each year as well as create the gains needed to reach the goals approved in our annual and expansion budgets. You will also be expected to retain, maintain, and upgrade current donors.
• Develop a clear and compelling written case for support
• Build understanding and support for that case with individual donors, foundations, and corporations
• Help clarify the needs of Rising Star Outreach and build its fundraising capacity
• Develop and implement a development and fundraising plan that includes annual and long-range plans to achieve fundraising goals
• Identify and manage the resources needed to carry-out the fundraising plan
• Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate funding
• Track and report all gifts and pledges by source and purpose
• Identify, manage, and solicit high-level prospects
• Motivate staff and board members regarding fundraising goals and involvement
• Oversee and organize special events
• BA or 5 years of experience (required), MA (a plus)
• 5-plus years’ experience in development particularly in marketing or nonprofit fundraising
• Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
• Demonstrated a professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time